Chuck Levin’s Washington Music Center was founded in 1958 by Chuck and Marge Levin. The store was originally located at 12th and H Streets in downtown Washington, D.C. Through Chuck and Marge’s honest and hard working efforts, the modest mom and pop shop became a DC institution. No musician could pass through DC without a stop at “Chuck’s.” In April of 1968, that location was burned to the ground during the riots following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. With the help of close industry friends and local support, Washington Music Center resumed operations only two months later at the current location on Veirs Mill Road in Wheaton, Maryland.
Since, “Chuck’s” has grown into the top Independent Music store in the industry. Building on Chuck’s own work-ethic, Washington Music Center has become an example of honest opinions, reliable advice, personal attention to detail, good will, and customer satisfaction matched with huge inventory and great prices.
Chuck’s is truly a family operation, and a great deal of our success is directly attributed to the close working relationship of this family. Following the passing of Chuck and Marge, their two sons, Alan and Robert, daughter, Abbe, and grandson Adam, have taken over stewardship of the company. Chuck and Marge cared for every customer that walked through their doors (or called… or emailed), and there will always be a Levin in the building to ensure that this never changes.
Washington Music Center occupies four warehouses and two showroom buildings, in addition to four on-site repair shops (woodwind/brasswind, guitar and bass, orchestral strings, electronics) and clinic room for demonstrations and meet & greets.
Chuck’s has continued to grow and prosper continuously each and every year since it’s inception, winning top sales awards from several of the biggest manufacturers and publications in the music industry. We couldn’t do it without a loyal customer base, and for this you have our utmost gratitude. Thanks everybody!