The Korg KROME EX- An Evolved Go-To Synthesizer with a Focus on "FUTURE BASICS"
KROME, the best-selling synth focused on packing the most usable sounds into an easy to use platform, has received a major refresh. Updated to meet the needs of the current music scene, KROME EX has a special emphasis on sounds that can immediately fit into productions of all types. In addition to standard sounds that will never grow old, KROME EX provides numerous new programs and PCM data, including piano programs prepared specifically for this product. This instrument provides high-quality and immediately-usable sounds that take full advantage of the KROME's high performance specs. The new body also features a newly revamped build and look to accompany the new sounds. A music workstation for gigging musicians and producers of all stripes: The KROME EX.
Carefully Selected Sounds with Immediate Usability
Keeping up with a worldwide music scene that evolves daily is a challenge for any instrument designer that Korg is excited to take on. KROME EX answers the question "What sounds should be provided by today’s go-to workstation synth?"
First Korg focuses on EDM (Electronic Dance Music) that has conquered the world. Rich, effect-laden polyphonic sounds that evoke massive rooms, clear and crisp synth leads, and punchy drum kits that get listeners moving are some of the new staple sounds that they've added. Ethnic instruments such as steel pan, kalimba, and kokyu, as well as Hollywood-type sound effects frequently used in movie trailers or commercials are also newly provided. KROME EX features a musical catalog for today, where users can simply select a program and immediately begin composing fresh-sounding tracks.
- KROME EX's Piano Sounds are Crucial
- Electric Pianos with Beautiful Warmth and Realism
- Drum Tracks Deliver Realistic Grooves
- Drum Sounds with Fine-Tune Control Over Resonance
- Expertly Created, In-Demand Sounds Including 896 Programs and 512 Preload Combinations
Piano sounds are critically important for nearly every keyboard instrument. The KROME EX is equipped with new grand piano sounds. These sounds were recorded under the supervision of Seigen Ono, the authority on DSD recording and mastering, and provide a beautifully clear sound that builds on the success of the "German D Grand" that exemplifies the original KROME, further expanding the range of piano sounds. An upright piano frequently used in pop is also newly included.
For many keyboardists, a realistic electric piano sound is just as critical as an artisanal acoustic piano sound. KROME features three types of electric pianos. Eight velocity levels have been used to ensure faithful expression response. Lavish amounts of PCM memory have been used for this purpose, to the extent that just one of these electric piano types contains more sample data than the entire sound memory of a typical PCM synthesizer. In addition, the vintage amps, cabinets, and classic effects so important to these timeless sounds have been painstakingly modeled, offering a fully immersive electric piano experience.
Simply pressing a single button turns on the Drum Track feature, providing realistic grooves played by professionals using the KROME EX’s studio-quality drum sounds. Play along or incorporate them into your music production. In addition to more than 600 preset patterns inherited from KRONOS, there's plenty of space for saving user patterns as well. Drum patterns can be created and used with the sequencer, as well as providing a rhythm guide while you play, or they can be used creatively in your live performances.
When producing on a music workstation, the built-in drum kits play a major role. The KROME EX provides a massive collection of more than 2,500 drum samples to power its 48 preload kits. One of the notable kits is "Jazz Ambience Drums." Its generous sound takes advantage of KROME EX’s high-capacity PCM memory to deliver a completely new level of clarity and realism. Adjusting the mix balance between the direct sound (a mic placed near the head or cymbal) and the ambient sound (recorded from a distant mic to capture the resonance of the room), allows you to create a rich drum sound that has exactly the balance and character that you want.
In addition to piano, electric piano, and drums, KROME EX has a plentiful array of sounds to cover a broad range of styles that will meet a wide variety of needs. Stimulate your creativity by selecting any of the 896 Programs or 512 Combinations. Each one has been carefully created by professional studio and performing musicians to provide exceptional real-world use for both rich clean backing parts or soaring solos. Plus you can tweak, customize, create, and save your own sounds as well.
Dual Polyphonic ArpeggiatorsIn Combination mode or Sequencer mode, two arpeggiators can be run simultaneously. In addition to standard arpeggio patterns, these arpeggiators can generate guitar or bass riffs, drum patterns, or they can even be used as building blocks for sound design, to create pads, synth sounds, and sound effects that include subtle motion. You're also free to edit any of the patterns to create your own custom originals.
KROME EX has a full complement of the features you’ve come to expect from a KORG Music Workstation, starting with the 16-track sequencer. But there’s much, much more. KROME EX comes complete with a rich suite of tools to jumpstart your creativity. There's the convenient Auto Song Setup function; if inspiration strikes while you're playing a program or combination, simply press the REC switch to start recording immediately. Each Template Song assigns popular sounds to sequencer tracks through pre-routed effects to match a specific musical genre. Achieve lightning-fast arrangements using KORG’s Cue List, and build an armada of instant-access patterns using the RPPR (Realtime Pattern/Play Recording) feature. Go back and you can make any changes using the convenient piano-roll editing.
Intuitive TouchView Interface
KROME EX’s huge 800 x 480 pixel TouchView Color display can show numerous parameters at once, ensuring great visibility. Simply touch the screen to change sounds or edit parameters. Finger-drag editing is also supported, allowing you to use the on-screen sliders and knobs directly. Numerous functions take advantage of the TouchView interface, such as the piano roll editor, a stopwatch that’s convenient for keeping track of a live performance, and a calculator keypad that is convenient for entering numerical values.
Free Bundle of Music Software
The KROME EX comes with a diverse variety of music software from Izotope including “Ozone Elements” which lets you not only create songs but also master them using AI, “Skoove” which will help you improve your keyboard playing skills, “Reason Lite” DAW software, as well as software synths from KORG and other brands. In other words, the moment you get your hands on this synthesizer you'll have a variety of tools to help you take your music to the next level.
- KROME EX-61
- Semi Weighted Keyboard. Velocity sensitive is supported, after touch is not supported.
- Standard C2 - C7 (transposable in the range [C1...C6]-[C3...C8])
- Maximum Polyphony
- 120 voices (120 Oscillators) / Single Mode, 60 voices (120 Oscillators) / Double Mode
- PCM Memory
- 4 GB (In case of 48 kHz, 16-bit Linear PCM converted)
- 728 multisamples (including 44 Stereo multi-samples)
- 2,502 drumsamples (including 574 Stereo Drumsamples)
- Oscillator- OSC1 (Single); OSC1 + 2 (Double): Stereo multisamples are supported 8 velocity zones per oscillator with switching, crossfades and layers
- Filters- Four types of filter routing (single, serial, parallel, 24 dB). Two multi-mode filters per oscillator (low pass, high pass, band pass, band reject)
- Driver- Per-voice nonlinear driver and low boost
- EQ- Three bands, with sweepable mid
- Modulation- For each oscillator, two envelope generators (Filter and Amp), two LFOs, two key tracking generators (Filter and Amp), two AMS mixers, Pitch EG, Common LFO, two common key tracking generators
- Timbre Number- Max 16. For each Timbre, keyboard and velocity split/layer/crossfades.
- Drum Kit
- Samples- Stereo and mono. 8 velocity zones switch (crossfades and layers)
- User Combination- 768 Combination (512 Preload)
- User Program- 1536 Program (896 Preload)
- User Drum Kit- 80 Drum Kit (48 Preload)
- Preset Program- 256 GM2 Program + 9 GM2 Drums Program
(The maximum simultaneous voice polyphony will vary depending on oscillator settings, velocity crossfading and whether you are using mono or stereo multisamples.)
Modifications to the program settings via the Tone Adjust function.
- Insert Effects
- 5 Insert Effects (stereo in/out)
- Master Effects
- 2 Master Effects (stereo in/out)
- Total Effect
- 1 Total Effect (stereo in/out)
- Timbre/Track EQ
- 3-band EQ per in 1 Timbre/in 1 Track
- Effect Types
- 193 types (Usable as insert, master, or total effects. However, double-size effects cannot be used as a total effect.)
- Dynamic Modulation, 2 Common LFO
- Effects Control Busses
- Stereo side chain (Limiter, Gate, Vocoder etc.)
- Effect Preset
- 32 preset per effect
- Program Mode
- 1 unit
- Combination, Sequencer Mode
- 2 units are available
- Number of Patterns
- 5 preset Arpeggio pattern, 1,088 User Arpeggio pattern (960 Preload)
- Preset Patterns
- User Patterns
- 1,000 patterns (Pattern created in Sequencer mode can be converted to drum track user pattern)
- Configurable "Trigger Mode / Sync / Zone"
- 710 patterns (Common with the preset pattern of the Sequencer mode)
- 16-track + 1 master track
- Number of Songs
- 128 songs
- 1/480 note
- 40.00 - 300.00 (1/100 BPM resolution)
- Maximum Memory
- 210,000 MIDI events
- Template Songs
- 16 preset/16 user template songs
- Cue List Function
- 20 Cue List
- Pattern / RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play and Recording)
- 710 Preset / 100 User pattern (Per song). 1 pattern set per song
- KORG (KROME) format, SMF format 0 and 1
Songs can be arranged consecutively or repeatedly in up to 99 steps, a cue list can be converted back into a song.
- Joystick, SW , SW 
- Realtime Control
- [SELECT] Switch: TONE, USER, ARP
- 4 Knobs: Modulation, User, Arpeggio control
- Drum Track
- [DRUM TRACK] Switch: On/Off
- [ARP] Switch: On/Off
- Touch view graphical User Interface, 7 -inch Color TFT LCD, 800 x 480 pixel, Onboard LCD brightness control
- Mode Switches
- [COMBI], [PROG], [SEQ], [GLOBAL], [MEDIA] Switch
- VALUE controllers
- [VALUE] Dial, [INC], [DEC] Switches, 10 key block ( - , [-], [.], [ENTER], [COMPARE])
- BANK Switches
- [A], [B], [C], [D], [E], [F] switches (in Combination mode, [A], [B], [C], [D] switches are available)
- SEQUENCER Switches
- [PAGE] switch, [WRITE] switch, [EXIT] switch, [VOLUME] knob, Contrast knob
Inputs and Outputs
- Control Input
- DAMPER (Half Damper supported), ASSIGNABLE SWITCH, ASSIGNABLE PEDAL
- AUDIO OUTPUT, L/R MONO, R
- 6.3mm (Mono) Phone jack, Unbalanced
- Output Impedance: 1.1[kΩ] (L / Mono terminal: in case of Mono output, = 550[Ω])
- Maximum level: +16.0 [dBu], Load Impedance: more than 10 [kΩ]
- Headphone Output
- 3.5mmStereo phone jack
- Output Impedance: 33[Ω]
- Maximum level: 60 + 60 [mW] (In case of 33[Ω] Loaded)
- IN, OUT
- USB-MIDI Interface (TYPE B) x 1
- SD Card Slot
- Max 2 GB/SD Memory Card is supported
- Max 32 GB/ SDHC Memory Card is supported (SDXC Memory Card is not supported)
- Load, Save, Utility, Data filer functionality (Save and Load MIDI System Exclusive Data)
- EDS-X（Enhanced Definition Synthesis - eXpanded
- Power Supply
- Power supply (DC12V 3.5A), POWER switch
- Power Consumption
- Dimensions (W x D x H)
- 1,027 mm × 313 mm × 93 mm / 40.43 x 12.32 x 3.66 inches
- 7.2 kg / 15.87 lbs
Manufacturer: Korg USA
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details