Explore a Different World of Sounds with the Modal Electronics Argon8M 8-Voice Polyphonic Wavetable Synthesizer Module
Leaning on the heritage of our legendary OO series synthesisers, ARGON8M is a modern wavetable synth for music performers, producers and sound designers. With it’s transparent and rich sound, an array of realtime controls, full MPE support, a clear structured user interface and integrated performance tools, ARGON8M is a unique instrument, designed to deliver an unmatched sonic experience.
The sleek desktop/rackmount aluminium enclosure design fits on every table or in every rack. MODALapp gives easy access to all ARGON8M functions and runs on macOS/Windows/iOS/iPadOS and Android devices and is also available in AU/VST3 plug-in formats as MODALplugin.
A Universe of Waves
ARGON8M’s sophisticated wavetable engine generates thousands of different sonic combinations with its seamless waveform morphing feature. Explore evolving ambient textures, classic pads and modern chords, brutal basses, dark drones and psychedelic noise textures - ARGON8M is a true sound designer’s playground. Process and cross modulate the waves using either the 32 static wavetable modifiers and unlock additional wavetable variations. With ARGON8M, virtually every sound imagination comes to life.
Four morphable filter types deliver contemporary and classic options to shape sounds. Two flexible audio rate (1x polyphonic) LFOs can be routed to a huge amount of destinations using the modulation matrix and sync to internal or external tempo. Three dedicated envelopes for the filter, amp and modulation provide excessive control over dynamics and expression. ARGON8M’s sophisticated 12-slot modulation matrix supports easy assignments of complex modulation routes to keep the sound evolving. 4 common modulation routings are pre-set here to free up space for more exciting ideas.
On the Move
Bring performance to a new level with the integrated 512-note Realtime / Step Sequencer with 4 powerful Animation Lanes, that instils massive and complex transitions to the sound in a way that LFOs and Envelopes simply won’t provide. The polyphonic 64-note step sequencer mode enables easy step input for note and animation values to create exciting melodic patterns. Multiple sequencer trigger modes coupled with the powerful onboard arpeggiator (programmable up to 32 steps) and performance features such as Chord hold, Inversions, Transpose, Sustain Latch and the Joystick turn ARGON8M a performers and players dream.
Feel the Sound
ARGON8Ms professional approach to serious artists finds perfect expression in the rugged steel and aluminium chassis. The desktop design fits on every producer’s table. Included rackmounts help to mount ARGON8M into a live or studio rack. For direct access of the parameters, ARGON8M features 26 endless knobs, 9 buttons and an X/Y joystick for pitch and modulation.
Your Own FX
Reshape your sounds completely with the on-board stereo effects engine. ARGON8M’s 3-slot FX engine enables in-depth programming. It can combine up to 12 FX algorithms to add character and depth to your sound, including Distortion (waveshaping overdrive) Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb.
Connections for any Environment
With a comprehensive set of connections, ARGON8M feels home in every environment. Control the synth using USB, monitor with headphones or using the dedicated line outputs, sync with external gear using the full-size MIDI in and out or the 3.5 mm Sync in our outputs and take control of your sound using the built-in Sustain and Expression inputs. Expanding the sound of ARGON8M is possible by poly chaining any two ARGON8 units for 16 voices and 64 oscillators.
- Perform with unique wavetable sounds, ranging from lush pads, soaring leads, moving soundscapes and earth shuttering basses
- Explore the exciting sonic options of a complex 8-voice wavetable engine with 4 oscillators per voice
- Create and save your own signature sonic textures with morphable waveforms, analogue-style morphable filter, an immersive modulation matrix and flexible digital effects
- Bring performance to a new level with MPE support, the integrated 512-note Realtime/Step Sequencer, 32-step programmable Arpeggiator and hugely powerful Animation Lanes
- Integrate ARGON8M into your production and live performances thanks to its stylish desktop/rackmount aluminium chassis and the full-size MIDI connections and the 3.5mm Sync Ins and Outs
- Access all synthesiser functions and update ARGON8M via the free MODALapp, available on macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS, Android and AU/VST3
- True 8 voice polyphonic
- Supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
- 32 high-resolution wavetable oscillators, 4 per voice
- 120 carefully crafted wavetables split into 24 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets Additional PWM bank and 3 noise/modulation banks accessible on Oscillator 2
- 32 static wavetable modifiers including, de-rez, wave folders, waveshapers, phase shapers and rectify can be applied to the 120 wavetables to give a mind-boggling array of permutations and new waveshapes.
- 8 types of oscillator modifier including Phase Mod (FM), Ring Mod, Amp Mod, Hard Sync and Windowed Sync
- Voice Drift and Width controls that help to create massive stereo soundscapes
- 2-pole state variable filters, 4 Filter types – ‘Standard’ filters are based on the resonant filter found in other Modal synthesisers and ‘Classic’ with a more rounded character and a softer resonance response.
- 3 dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions and multiple envelope curve options
- 2 Audio rate LFO’s with tempo sync (one poly, one global). Polyphonic LFO can sync to frequency divisions
- 8 assignable modulation slots and 4 additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 11 modulation sources and 52 modulation destinations
Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Polyphonic Real-time sequencer with 512 notes and four recordable/editable parameter animations (Delay FX, LFO’s, sequencer and arpeggiator can be either clocked internally or externally)
- Polyphonic Step Sequencer with 64 steps, 8 notes per step, 4 lanes of Parameter-Lock style animation, Step Input mode, multiple playback modes including gate modes and rest function
- Built-In sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability with up to 2048 steps before repeating
- Waveshaping distortion
- 3 incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo FX engines for Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb that can be arranged in any order
- 500 patch memories, all fully editable and ships with 300 factory programs
- 100 sequencer presets that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements
- 100 FX presets
- 4 Quick Recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favourite patches
Controls and Performance
- 26 endless encoders, 9 buttons
- 4-axis joystick that can be assigned to a huge range of modulation destinations and virtually ‘locked’ when desired
- Multiple voice modes, Mono, Poly, Unison 2, unison 4, unison 8, Stack 2 and Stack 4
- Glide/Portamento with both legato and staccato modes
- Chord Invert control to easily create chord inversions and variations
Inputs and Outputs
- 6.35 mm / 1/4" TS dual-mono line outputs
- 6.35 mm / 1/4" TRS headphone output
- 3.5 mm / 1/8" TRS stereo audio input
- MIDI DIN In and Out
- 3.5 mm / 1/8" TS Analogue clock sync In and Out
- Class compliant MIDI over USB connection
- 6.35 mm / 1/4" TRS expression pedal input
- 6.35 mm / 1/4" TS sustain pedal input
Enclosure and Display
- Tabletop-style enclosure, brackets for 19" 3U rackmount included (requires 1U free space above or right-angled connectors)
- 1.54-inch large OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times of playing/editing
- Power: DC-9.0V – 1.5A centre-positive
- Free MODALapp software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
- MODALapp can also be run within your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), with VST3 and AU versions available
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 384 x 127 x 81 mm / 15.1″ x 5″ x 3.2″
- Weight: 2.1 kg / 4.6 lbs
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.