Shape Your Own Sounds With The Expansive Mutable Instruments Plaits Macro-Oscillator Eurorack Module
Plaits is the spiritual successor of Mutable Instruments™ best-selling voltage-controlled sound source, Braids. Not just a mkII version: its hardware and software have been redesigned from scratch. Just like its predecessor, it offers direct access to a large palette of easily tweakable raw sonic material, covering the whole gamut of synthesis techniques.
Gone are the screen, menu system, hidden settings, and the long list of somewhat redundant synthesis models. Thanks to additional CV inputs, and to the use of three timbre-shaping parameters per model, Plaits is straightforward to use, and much closer to the ideal of one synthesis technique = one model. What were fragmented islands of sound in Braids are now part of a continuum of sounds.
Ready For Percussion
Patch a trigger generator or sequencer into Plaits™ trigger input and instantly use the module as a percussive source thanks to its built-in virtual low-pass gate (LPG). An internal D (decay) envelope generator is normalled to all unpatched CV inputs. Just turn the corresponding attenuverter to add pitch, timbre or morphing modulation. And if plucks and snappy hits are not your thing, patch your own envelope or CV source into the LPG CV input.
- Two detuned virtual analog oscillators with continuously variable waveforms.
- Variable slope triangle oscillator processed by a waveshaper and wavefolder.
- 2-operator FM with continuously variable feedback path.
- Two independently controllable formants modulated by a variable shape window (VOSIM, Pulsar, Grainlet, Casio CZ-style resonant filter...).
- 24-harmonic additive oscillator.
- Wavetable oscillator with four banks of 8x8 waves, with or without interpolation.
- Chord generator, with divide down string/organ emulation or wavetables.
- A collection of speech synthesis algorithms (formant filter, SAM, LPC), with phoneme control and formant shifting. Several banks of phonemes or segments of words are available.
- Granular sawtooth or sine oscillator, with variable grain density, duration and frequency randomization.
- Clocked noise processed by a variable shape resonant filter.
- 8 layers of dust/particle noise processed by resonators or all-pass filters.
- Extended Karplus-Strong (aka Rings™ red mode), excited by bursts of white noise or dust noise.
- Modal resonator (aka Rings™ green mode), excited by a mallet or dust noise.
- Analog kick drum emulation (two flavors).
- Analog snare drum emulation (two flavors).
- Analog high-hat emulation (two flavors).
- The AUX output carries a variant, sidekick or by-product of the main signal.
- Patch both OUT and AUX to Warps for weird hybridization experiments!
- Dedicated CV input for synthesis model selection. No need to activate a mysterious META mode!
- An internal decay envelope is normalled to the TIMBRE, FM and MORPH CV inputs: the amount of internal modulation is directly adjusted with the attenuverters.
- Dedicated LEVEL CV input controlling the amplitude and brightness of the output signal.
- The internal LPG can also be directly plucked by the trigger input.
- Two parameters of the LPG can be adjusted: amount of low-pass filtering (VCFA to VCA), and response time of the virtual Control
- All inputs: 100k impedance, DC to 2kHz.
- FM, MORPH, TIMBRE input range: +/- 8V.
- HARMO and MODEL input range: +/- 5V.
- LEVEL and TRIG input range: 0 to +8V.
- V/O input range: -3 to +7V.
- 16-bit CV capture.
- Audio output: 48kHz, 16-bit, DC-coupled.
- Internal processing: 32-bit floating point.
- 8 Synthesis models for pitched sounds
- 8 synthesis models for noise and percussions
- Dual output
- Internal or external modulations
- Internal low-pass gate (LPG)
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.