Get A Cutting-Edge Combination Of Point Source And Line Array Technology With The PreSonus CDL12 2-Way 12" Full Range Constant Directivity Loudspeaker
The PreSonus CDL12 is the result of years of research and development, combining the best attributes of point source and line array technology into a unique patent-pending design. Based on the Constant-Directivity Two-Way Loudspeaker System design presented at the 143rd AES Convention in New York by Hugh Sarvis and Don Keele, the CDL12 radiates a highly focused pattern with consistent SPL throughout the frequency response range, both on- and off-axis. The result is clear, articulate speech intelligibility and natural music reproduction.
A Unique Look with a Unique Result
Each CDL12 consists of eight 2-inch drivers aligned in a segmented circular-arc high-frequency array centered in front of a 12-inch woofer. The output of the low-frequency driver travels from the same acoustic axis as the high-frequency array so that the pattern always radiates from the center of the CDL12. This is true whether the CDL12 is used individually on a tripod speaker stand or as part of an acoustically coupled vertical array with up to six enclosures. Because of this, the CDL12 avoids the near-field anomalies that can interfere with the sound quality of a traditional line array. This makes the CDL12 ideally suited for a broader range of venue sizes, creating a far-field response almost immediately as the sound is projected from the center of the enclosure.
Symmetrical Dispersion Matters
Traditional line array loudspeakers typically place a high-frequency horn on one side of the enclosure and a woofer on the other. To obtain a symmetrical image with those loudspeakers, you'd have to flip one over-something they aren't designed to do in the first place-and you'd still have phase issues. With the CDL12, the eight 2-inch high-frequency drivers arc over a single 12-inch woofer, comparable to the coaxial driver configuration found on top studio monitors. The result is better sonic coherence across the entire venue, with no anomalies to compensate for via time-consuming room correction. Regardless of how many CDL12s you stack, you're working with a shared acoustic axis-and non-turbulent sound propagating throughout the room.
Scalable Vertical Coverage
The CDL12's hybrid point source/line array design delivers focused sound with consistent SPL coverage both on- or off-axis, making it an excellent choice for mobile and installed applications. Rigging CDL12 enclosures is made easier, thanks to integrated pin-loaded rigging hardware. A dual-angle pole mount is provided, supporting the use of one or two enclosures when pole mounted on a tripod stand, or atop the companion CDL18s subwoofer, allowing the system to adapt to varying audience sizes. When vertically arrayed for suspended applications, up to five CDL12 enclosures can be flown beneath one or two CDL18s subwoofers. When flown without a subwoofer, six CDL12 loudspeakers can be arrayed to create a truly symmetric 120" x 120" design.
Onboard Processing Power
The CDL12's integrated PDA-1000 500W x 500W Class D power amplifier features onboard DSP presets to facilitate and simplify arrayed configurations. For more advanced applications, each CDL12 can be connected to a standard LAN network and remotely controlled using WorxControl software for macOS and Windows. When combined with the CDL12, WorxControl provides speaker-management tools that include compression, limiting, and 800 ms of delay. An 8-band EQ with individually selectable filters (High Pass, Low Pass, High Shelf, Low Shelf, Notch, All Pass, Band Pass) is also provided to compensate for room anomalies. Speakers can be grouped and managed individually or together. Performance monitoring indicators allow you to monitor temperature and signal levels remotely.
- ConfigurationActive 2-way
- Frequency Response (-3 dB)48 Hz - 18 kHz
- Frequency Response (-10 dB)42 Hz - 19 kHz
- Nominal Coverage (-6 dB)120 Degrees x 20 Degrees per enclosure
- Maximum Peak SPL131 dB
- Crossover Frequency420 Hz
- uLF Transducer12" (2.5" voice coil)
- HF Transducer8 x 2' (1" Voice Coil)
- Type: Class D
- Total Power Output: 2000W Peak, 1000W Program (500W RMS)
- LF Power: 1000W Peak, 500W Program (250W RMS)
- HF Power: 1000W Peak, 500W Program (250W RMS)
- Cooling: Free air convection
- Rated THD 0.05%: 20 Hz - 20 kH)
- Dynamic Range: 119 dB (A-weighted)
- Bandwidth: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Main Connection: powerCON In and Out
Connections And Control
- Input Channels: 1 Line
- Input Connector Types: 1 XLR
- Line Input Impedance: 40 k Ohms
- Maximum Input: +4 dBu
- Output Connector: Direct Line Out (XLR)
- Networking: Dante (Audio and Control), Control (only) via Locking Ethernet
- Controls: Preset Select
- HPF: On/Off
- IndicatorsOver Temperature, Signal, -3 dB, Limiter, Clip, Network Status
- Effects: Compression, Limiting, Delay, 8-band EQ and preset selection via WorxControl
- HPFL 90 Hz, 4th-order Butterworth
- Bit Depth: 24-bit
- Sample Rate: 48 kHz
- Material: 15 mm Eucalyptus plywood
- Finish: Chemline Polyurea
- Grille: Powder-coated steel
- Dimensions (HxDxW): 18.6" x 20.8" x 17.5" (473 mm x 529 mm x 444.5 mm)
- Unit Weight: 65 lbs. (29.5 kg)
- Amplifier Protection: Over-current, DC, over/under-voltage, over-temperature, high frequency
- Transducer Protection: Limiter
- AC Power Input: 90-260V~, 50-60 Hz
- AC Power Consumption (1/8 Power): 4.2 Amps
- Rigging Points: Integrated Rigging (10:1 load)
- Mounting: Dual-position pole mount (0 Degree and 10 Degree) 35 mm
- Rigging: CDL Rigging Grid, CDL Rigging Extension Bar, CDL Rigging Sling
- Other: CDL12-Tote Tote Bag
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.