OUT OF STOCK BUT WE CAN GET IT
• Ship time varies by availability - C19 delays possible
• Order now to reserve yours ~ risk free
Get A Flugelhorn Designed By Pros For Pros With TheÂ Ray Farr Signature Flugelhorn - Rimless Bell
Truly one of the most in tune flugelhorns that we have seen.
EASE OF BLOWING / TONE
In a brass band, the flugel horn is part of the horn section and it either doubles up with the solo horn, or is heard as the highest voice. Therefore, the tone of the flugel should be mellow and rich to match with the middle of the band. The Ray Farr Signature Flugel does have a good tone, especially in the lower and middle registers. Also, you can hear all the clarity coming through when double and triple tonguing or playing technical passages, unlike other flugels where sometimes it can get lost. It is remarkably free-blowing in the middle and lower registers.
The designer, Chris Waters, has changed the design of the instrument. The valve case is now the same side of the bell as a cornet.Â The size of the bell is a lot larger than most flugel horns, which is great for amplifying the sound, and the valves are great too, really slick and fast.Â The instrument is also Bell Stayless - a strong tapered ferrule enabling both ends of the main bow and bell to butt totally, proving the strongest of joints that enables forceful mute twisting insertion / withdrawal.
A very good instrument and a design.Â The intonation is the best that I have ever played, which I feel the other leading flugels havenâ€™t mastered yet.
- Valves:- Top sprung Monel Valves honed to 0.0002â€ (two-tenth's of a thou) on diameter.
- Bore:- The diameter through the Valves is 0.430â€.
- Bell:- An impressive 7" diameter Bell and flair, Rimless. The unique Copper/Zinc Alloy, Conical Bore Diameter increase, Bell Flair and End-diameter are inexorably linked to the Flugelâ€™s exacting intonation in all registers and its much-acclaimed sound projection.
- Trigger:- An adjustable 3rd Valve Trigger is fitted as standard.
- Right-hand Finger Hook:- Us humans all built differently so we've designed the Finger hook to be fully adjustable in any direction for the most comfortable playing position.
- Mouthpiece Shanks:- We supply two different Mouthpiece Shanks. One Large for USA, Japanese & Denis Wick "L" Mouthpieces and one Medium Shank for Denis Wick Mouthpieces without an "L" (2F, 3F & 4F) enabling you to use any make of mouthpiece you like with a Ray Farr Signature Flugel.
- Waterkeys:- Main, 1st and 3rd lever Waterkeys fitted as standard.
- Two Types of Finish:- Bright Silver Plate throughout or Bright Silver Plate Body with 24 Carat Gold Plated Trim on Valve Tops & Bottoms, Slide Bows, Finger Tops, Waterkeys, Screws, 3rd Valve Trigger Assembly and Shanks.
- Key design features are the specially designed Conical Flair and Diameter of the Bell, the unique Copper and Zinc alloy used in the Bell's manufacture with its Random Mass plus options of a Bell with a Rim or a Rimless Bell and finally its unique Minimal Bell-stay construction. These very important features combine to produce this world class Flugel, which countless musicians from the four corners of the globe who've tried it and purchased consider it to be the best Flugel they've ever played. Us humans all built differently so we've designed the right-hand Finger hook to be fully adjustable in any direction for the most comfortable playing position.
- None of this is Rocket Science! Itâ€™s simply good old fashioned engineering and acoustic common sense, allowing the Bell to do what bells should do â€“ ring without restraint! If you were to restrict a church bell it would sound far duller than when ringing free.
- Zoe Hancock from Black Dyke having tried the Flugel for several weeks said in a British Bandsman article about the Ray Farr Signature Flugel â€œThe intonation is the best that I have ever played, which I feel the other leading Flugels havenâ€™t mastered yetâ€ and sums the instrument up, resulting in the success weâ€™re having throughout the UK, Europe, the USA, Japan and being very much in demand in Norway.
- Ray Farr Signature Flugel Horns are produced in Havant, Waterlooville and Aldershot, Hampshire by Chris Waters (Designer and Lead Engineer) plus a small team of specialist engineers. Weâ€™re responsible for component part making, machining, engraving, assembling, electro-plating, lacquering and detailed engineering and acoustic inspection at every stage.
- Finish options are Bright Silver Plate throughout or Bright Silver Plate with 24 Carat Gold Plated Trim on Valve Tops & Bottoms, Slides, Finger Tops, Water keys, Screws, 3rd Valve Trigger Assembly and Shanks.
Manufacturer: Ray Farr Flugels
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
Listing ID: NA91912
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device