An All New Instrument With Traditional Fingerings - The Roland AE-10 Aerophone Digital Wind InstrumentAerophone AE-10 is a digital wind instrument that lets you play sax, clarinet, flute, violin, synth sounds and many more. Since it supports traditional sax fingering, the AE-10 is instantly familiar to acoustic sax players, especially with a mouthpiece-mounted breath sensor that responds like an acoustic horn. The AE-10 also features 128* high-quality sound models including soprano and baritone sax, clarinet, trumpet, string instruments, and an array of expressive synth sounds. And the integrated speaker and battery operation means that you can play these sounds anywhere. With built-in speakers, headphones for late-night practice, battery power capability, and DAW connectivity, the Roland Aerophone AE-10 is the versatile, play-anywhere choice that supports you in every musical scenario.
*Version 3.0 software includes 128 tones, with 66 new tones to expand your repertoire
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone Sax Sounds: All From One Instrument
Nothing beats the sound of your favorite acoustic sax, but sometimes its tone might not be quite right for the job at hand. Whatever scenario you’re playing in, the Aerophone AE-10 has the onboard digital sax sounds you need. Choose from alto, tenor, soprano, and baritone sax types, all of which respond just like their acoustic counterparts. Playing dynamics, articulation, and even the organic overtone changes caused by your breathing are all reproduced thanks to Roland’s advanced SuperNATURAL modeling technology. A dedicated “Sax Section” layers four types of sax for playing together in unison, and you can pull off a seamless performance with the Full Range feature, which automatically switches between sax types by key range.
Explore Other Instruments Including Trumpet, Tuba, Violin and More
The Aerophone AE-10 also features sounds from other wind instruments including trumpet, trombone, clarinet, flute, oboe, bassoon, and more. Powered by Roland’s SuperNATURAL technology, which faithfully matches the behavior of the originals, these sounds help to expand your musical range. Ethnic instruments like shakuhachi and erhu are on hand too, offering authentic pitch and tonal fluctuations that echo their acoustic counterparts. Aerophone AE-10 even includes stringed instruments such as violin, cello, and contrabass, each one capable of unique musical expressions since you control them by breath and fingering instead of bowing. Once you’ve tried the individual sounds, you can create one-man ensembles by layering multiple wind instrument sounds with the Brass Section setting. The AE-10 is also packed with a selection of the latest synth sounds that are specially tailored for wind instrument performance with fully optimized breath control.
Start Playing Immediately With Traditional Sax Fingering and a Responsive Breath Sensor
You’ve worked hard to nail your sax technique, but most digital horns make you master a new fingering system, which can be a major setback. With the Roland Aerophone AE-10, it’s a smooth transition, thanks to a layout that’s similar to your favorite acoustic sax—right down to the left-hand octave key. Plus, the AE-10 has a sensitive mouthpiece-mounted breath sensor that also functions as a bite sensor, allowing expressive techniques like vibrato and pitch. Even beginners will be able to enjoy playing the various onboard sounds straight away.
Play Anytime and Anywhere With Onboard Speakers, Battery Power, and Headphones
Wherever and whenever you play, the portable and lightweight Roland Aerophone AE-10 is ready. Six AA batteries provide mobile power, and onboard monitor speakers deliver comfortable sound for intimate performing situations. You also have the ability to directly connect to a PA or amp for broader coverage, eliminating the need to use a mic. When you need to cover large instruments like tuba and bassoon, the battery-powered Roland CUBE Street EX is a great companion, giving you big sound in a portable package. Playing sessions are even more fun when you connect to your smartphone via the Aerophone AE-10’s stereo mini jack and jam along with favorite songs. And thanks to the headphones option, you can play around the clock without disturbing family members and neighbors.
Jam With Favorite Tunes on Your Smartphone
Playing sessions are even more fun when you connect a smartphone or music player to jam along with favorite songs. Your device connects to the stereo mini-jack input on the Aerophone AE-10, and plays through the onboard monitor speakers or connected headphones.
Breath Control Brings Unique Expressive Possibilities to Your Music Productions
While the Roland Aerophone AE-10 is a powerful standalone instrument, it also lets you get creative with external gear. You can connect to your computer via USB to play soft synths and external MIDI sound modules through your DAW, with breath control providing a world of unique expression not possible with keyboard synthesizers.
Customize Your Aerophone for Maximum Expression
The Aerophone Editor is a free iOS app for the Aerophone AE-10 that lets you adjust tones, set various playing parameters, and organize tone lists. You’re able to deeply customize sounds and functions with parameters only available in the app, and easily create tone lists for different performance and practice situations. Via a convenient interface, you have access to four tone layers, various controller assignments, effects settings, and more. The Aerophone Editor is a must-have tool to perfectly tailor your Aerophone AE-10 for your own personal playing style.
- Digital wind instrument with flexible onboard sounds
- Fingering compatible with an acoustic saxophone
- Mouthpiece features sensitive breath sensor with reed structure for friendly playing feel and control over techniques like vibrato and pitch
- Roland’s proprietary SuperNATURAL sound technology reproduces the subtle tonal nuances produced with dynamics and articulation
- Realistic and expressive saxophone sounds include soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone, all instantly transposable to any key with no fingering stress
- Wide variety of additional acoustic sounds include wind instruments (clarinet, flute, and trumpet) and string instruments (violin)
- Roland’s latest synth sounds on board, optimized for breath control
- Easy operation with display for selecting sounds and settings
- Onboard monitor speakers and headphones output for playing anytime, anywhere
- Battery operation (6 x AA) for up to seven hours of continuous play
- Easy connection to a computer DAW via USB Input for connecting a smartphone or music player for playing along with backing music
- With version 3.0 software, 128 tones are available including 66 new tones
- Key Layout: Saxophone compatibleSound Generator: SuperNATURAL acoustic, PCM synthesizer
- Preset Memory Tones: 128 (*Version 3.00)
- User Memory Tones: 100
- Breath sensor
- Bite sensor
- Performance keys
- Octave keys
- Thumb controller
- Tone button
- Display: Custom LCD
- INPUT jack: stereo miniature phone type
- PHONES/OUTPUT jack: stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- USB COMPUTER port (supports USB MIDI)
- DC IN jack
- Internal Speakers
- 2.8 cm x 2
- 1.5 W x 2
- Power Supply
- AC adaptor (DC 5.7 V)
- Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) (sold separately) x 6
- Current Draw: 418 mA
- Battery life for continuous use (differs depending on the conditions of use) Rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries: approximately 7 hours (When using batteries having a capacity of 1,900 mAh.)*Carbon-zinc or alkaline batteries cannot be used.
- Owner's manual
- Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- AC adaptor
- Mouthpiece cap
- Neck strap
- Dedicated hand carry bag
- Size and Weight
- Width: 128 mm, 5-1/16 inches
- Depth: 93 mm, 3-11/16 inches
- Height: 574 mm, 22-5/8 inches
- Weight: 855 g, 1 lb. 15 oz.(including batteries)
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.