Get An Innovative Update On A Classic Sampler With The Roland SP-404A Linear Wave Sampler
Designed for live use, the SP-404A Linear Wave Sampler expands the sounds of the Roland AIRA TR-8 Rhythm Performer for a powerful combination of sample and percussive synthesis. The fast, hands-on approach of the acclaimed SP-series performance samplers is a perfect fit for the impressive rhythmic effects and iconic step-sequencer of the Roland AIRA TR-8.
All of the functions and features of the popular SP-404SX are contained in the SP-404A, including its distinctive 16-bit linear sampling, 29 onboard DSP effects, smooth FX switching, and 12 professional performance pads. Plus, a new library of sounds curated by sample-industry leader Loopmasters are provided via the included SD card.
Whether used standalone or controlled by the TR-8, the SP-404A makes for an intuitive and inspiring addition to the AIRA range of performance instruments for DJs, musicians, and producers.
TR SEQUENCE MEETS SP-STYLE SAMPLING
The SP-404A can be triggered from the TR-8 Rhythm Performer for powerful, integrated beat and sample production. Simply connecting a MIDI cable between the two gives you the ability to incorporate samples from the SP-404A and use them in conjunction with your drum patterns. Each of the TR-11 tracks can trigger a sample on the SP-404A, play a TR-8 sound, or both, enabling you to create interesting layers and accents. The TR-8 can trigger any sample from any of the multiple banks in the SP-404A, making it easy to access new sounds with a turn of the dial.
SAMPLE SCATTER AND SIDE CHAIN
By connecting the stereo output of the SP-404A to the TR-8 external audio input, you can use the TR-8 as a sub-mixer and processor for the sampler. In this configuration, all samples played on the SP-404A can be effected using the powerful TR-8 Scatter feature to reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform all manner of rhythmic variations from subtle to extreme, and all in perfect sync. The use of the external input also allows samples to be effected by the TR-8 per-step Side Chain function-simply program a pattern with Side Chain in TR-REC Mode and access eight rhythmic ducking and gating effects.
SOUNDS BY LOOPMASTERS
The SP-404A comes with nine banks of premium samples to get you started with sample looping. The sound library on the included SD card was created by Loopmasters, one of the world leading sample developers. The samples in the library have been designed specifically to complement the TR-8, but will work great in standalone applications.
Additional samples can be loaded via the SD Card slot, which supports SDHC card sizes up to 32 GB. Import WAV or AIFF audio files from your Mac or Windows computer using the dedicated software (available in the Downloads section), and then assign them to the SP-404 pads. The software is fast and easy to use, as it displays the SP-404 pads on screen, and it also possible to convert SP-404 format files for use in the SP-404A.
Sampling is not limited to the studio with the SP-404A. The built-in microphone allows for simple recording anytime and anywhere inspiration may strike, powered by AC or six AA batteries. Line inputs enable direct sampling from a mixer or external device, and a mic input is also available for sampling with an external microphone. And your sampled material always sounds great, thanks to the SP-404 high-quality, uncompressed WAV audio-capture format.
With its interactive loop and pattern sequencer controls, the SP-404A is made to be played. Take command with three non-slip control knobs and 12 rubber trigger pads, plus a Sub Pad for rapid-repeat triggering in real time. On dark stages or DJ booths, the SP-404A is an ideal live machine.
- Sample anytime, anywhere with the built-in mic and battery power
- Can be triggered from the 16-step sequencer in the TR-8 Rhythm Performer (TR-8 system version 1.50 or later required)
- AIRA black-and-green color scheme to match existing AIRA hardware
- “Sounds by Loopmasters” SD card includes over 100 new stereo samples, effects, and one-shots
- 29 DSP effects, including filter, delay, unique voice effects, subsonic, looper, and more
- Three control knobs, 12 trigger pads, and Sub Pad for rapid-repeat triggering
- Seamless effects switching for smooth, perfect performances
- Pattern sequencer with quantize mode and shuffle feels
- Import audio files from a computer and assign samples to pads with free Mac/Windows software
- 12 voices
- Samples: 120 (12 samples x 10 banks) (stored on SD card)
- Patterns: 120 (12 patterns x 10 banks) (stored on SD card)
Sampling Time ( Time For All Samples)
- The maximum sampling time (size) for a single sample is approximately 180 minutes in stereo (2 GB). The following shows the approximate total sampling time of the samples that can be stored on one SD card.
- Card capacity / Stereo (Mono)
- 1 GB / Approx. 90 min. (180 min.)
- 2 GB / Approx. 180 min. (360 min.)
- 4 GB / Approx. 360 min. (720 min.)
- 8 GB / Approx. 720 min. (24 hours)
- 16 GB / Approx. 24 hours (48 hours)
- 32 GB / Approx.48 hours (96 hours)
- Since the SD card included with the SP-404A contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above.
- 16-bit linear (.wav/.aiff)
- 44.1 kHz
- Maximum recordable notes: Approx. 16,000 notes
- Resolution: 96 ticks per quarter note
- Pattern length: 1-99 measures
- Recording method: Realtime Loop Recording (with shuffle quantize function)
- 29 types
- 12 + Sub pad x 1
- Control knob x 3
- 7 segments, 3 characters (LED)
- Mono x 1
- LINE IN jacks (L, R) (RCA phono type)
- LINE OUT jacks (L, R) (RCA phono type)
- PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
- MIC IN jack (1/4-inch phone type)
- MIDI IN connector
- DC IN jack
- SD card slot
- AC Adaptor or Alkaline battery (AA, LR6)/Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 6
- *Batteries sold separately
Battery Life For Continuous Use
- Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: Approximately 5 hours (When using batteries having a capacity of 1,900 mAh.)
- Alkaline battery: Approximately 4 hours
- *These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- 450 mA
- SD Card
- AC Adaptor
- Owner's Manual
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.