Get Professional-Level Responsiveness with the S.E. Shires TBTRO-CW Collin Williams Artist Model Tenor Trombone
S.E. Shires fabricates its bells, tubing, and valve sections onsite in its Massachusetts factory to exacting standards. The valve components are tested thoroughly for accurate tolerances and perfect action at every stage of manufacture. Shires draws its own slide tubes to precise tolerances, assembling them without tension, and aligning them carefully to assure smooth, trouble-free action that is second to none. This handcrafted approach to instrument construction also ensures that the sound of every S.E. Shires trombone displays incredible depth, complexity and character—giving the player an unrivalled sonic palette with which to work.
The Colin Williams Artist Model tenor trombone has developed over the course of the artist's long relationship with Stephen Shires and S.E. Shires instruments. The two-piece, lightweight yellow-brass bell responds easily and produces a broad sound. The harmonic content of the sound warms up evenly at strong dynamic levels without becoming edgy. These characteristics are reinforced by the efficient and responsive yellow-brass handslide with wide crook. The 2SS leadpipe played by Mr. Williams further clarifies the sound's harmonic profile, while the gold-brass tuning slide brings added warmth. This model represents an ideal realization of the heroic New York low brass sound.
- CW Bell: 8.5 two-piece, hand-hammered “TI” taper in lightweight yellow brass with traditionally brazed seams and unsoldered bead, thinned toward the edge of the flare
- S.E. Shires rotary F valve
- TG tuning slide: gold brass, drawn tubing
- TW47 Handslide: .547-inch, standard-weight yellow brass; nickel-silver wide crook
- Choice of 2SS sterling silver lead pipe or three interchangeable yellow brass leadpipes
- Bell Engraving: S.E. Shires Colin Williams Model custom engraving
- Includes S.E. Shires tenor trombone case, mouthpiece, and care kit
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details