Take Your Guitar To New Depths In The Shallow Water K-Field Modulator From Fairfield Circuitry
Shallow Water’s essence could be characterized as uncertain, subtle, and nostalgic. Practically, this describes an effect built around your typical analog chorus/vibrato circuit wherein the signal is delayed by a few dozen milliseconds using a bucket brigade device. Another signal then modulates this delay time to create changes in pitch, called vibrato. Chorus is achieved by mixing the original signal with the delayed signal, creating the moving comb filters that tickle our ears. Still, major differences can be noticed when studying the k-field modulator’s architecture. The most striking is how the delay time is modulated in a random fashion and how the recovery filter moves in relation to the input signal. Both of these differences place Shallow Water in a category of its own, appropriately called k-field modulators.
- Rate: The RATE control adjusts the time intervals at which the random pitch fluctuations occur.
- Damp: The DAMP control affects the slope of the modulating signal
- Depth: The DEPTH knob adjusts the intensity of the modulation
- LPG: The LPG control adjusts the level of the envelope going to the low pass filter and gate circuit.
- Mix: The MIX control balances between the dry and wet signal. When it’s full wet (clockwise) the effect is like a vibrato. Chorus-type sounds are achieved by adding some of the dry signal (counterclockwise).
- Volume: The VOLUME knob controls the output volume.
More Controls Inside
- Boost And Pad: There are 2 jumpers at the input stage to match your input signal’s level and impedance, BOOST and PAD
- LPG Adjust: The recovery filter’s lowest frequency can be adjusted to fine-tune the way it will react to incoming signals. Lowering this frequency emphasizes the action of the low pass filter, effectively raising the threshold of sensitivity.
- 1/4” mono input/output jacks
- 2.1mm DC connector
- 4.7” x 3.8” enclosure dimensions
- True bypass
- Input impedance 1MΩ
- Output impedance 2kΩ
- Power supply 9 to 9.6 VDC
- Current draw 40 mA max
Model: SHALLOW WATER
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.