"Massive" is the Only Way to Describe the Manley Massive Passive Stereo Tube EQ
The MASSIVE PASSIVE is a two channel, four band equalizer, with additional high pass and low pass filters. "Passive" refers to the tone shaping part of this clever new EQ design not using any active circuitry. Only metal film resistors, film capacitors and hand-wound inductors sculpt the sound, kinda like a Pultec EQ on hyper-steroids. Super-beefy, hugely-high-headroom Manley all-tube make-up gain amplifiers deliver your tunes into the next realm. "Massive" is a fitting word for this beast. You'll need to experience this.
Creating natural, organic, acoustic tone can only be done with an equalizer that treats the signal with natural methods. The Massive Passive uses simple passive components and exploits their natural qualities rather than forcing a complex circuit to meet an arbitrary clinical or scientific goal. Manley knows that recording and mastering equalizers are used by artists for artistic goals and they balanced this design with a little more art than science. The Massive Passive is intended both for the most radical EQ sometimes needed for tracking as well as the most subtle shadings for vocals and mastering. It is designed to be a fundamentally different EQ but incorporates the best strengths of Pultecs, choice console EQs, parametrics and graphics. The difference is that the Massive allows twice as much EQ with half the coloration. It allows huge HF boosts without sibilance problems and unbelievable fatness without mud. This is unique. Being different also gives it some quirks and idiosyncrasies that will spark your creativity and sense of audio adventure. We could attempt to use dozens of superlatives to describe the sounds, but really, you have to experience it yourself. Words cannot do it justice. The Massive Passive is built to complement Manley's Variable Mu® Limiter Compressor - this combo could just be the ultimate processing chain. It's already a Mastering fave.
- All-Passive tone sculpting circuitry
- Unique Shelf curves use the "bandwidth" control
- Overlapping and Interleaved Frequency choices
- Every band switchable to shelf or bell
- Vacuum tube make-up gain and line drivers
- Parallel symmetrical topology
- Premium components throughout
- Passive HP and LP Filters plus gain trims
- Units built after 2016 or 2017 MK2 revision have Hardwire Bypass
Filters and EQ
There are 5 High Pass Passive Filters and bypass, plus 5 Low Pass Passive Filters with bypass. They are made to be extra steep. Why? So you can remove the garbage and not mess up your music. The way these filters interface with the parametric EQ bands simply sound beautiful. The highest Low Pass filters get even steeper. Attack drums, guitar stacks, and other tough jobs. Make "telephone" voice sounds for special effects. Steep LP and HP filters for maximum effectiveness and achieved passively for minimal coloration. Low Pass Filters get progressively steeper as the frequency point rises. All of the High Pass Filters, and the Low Pass 6K, 7K5, and 9KHz Filter slopes are 18 dB/octave, the Low Pass 12kHz filter has a 24dB/octave slope and the 18kHz filter has a 60 dB per octave slope.
Each band can be bypassed or set to boost or cut. This provides twice the control resolution over conventional EQs. It also eliminates the problem of a center detent not guaranteeing flat response. Each band is capable of 20 dB of boost or cut combined with amazing headroom and freedom from clipping. It also comes with transformer balanced floating outputs for ease of installation and a touch of desirable flavor. These too were custom designed for the Massive Passive to accommodate the hugest boosts possible.
The MANLEY POWER® power supply is an innovative design developed specifically for Manley Labs, specifically for High Voltage vacuum tubes, and specifically for audio by the world expert team in this technology led by Bruno Putzeys. Proven reliable and sonically superior in the Manley CORE, this power supply provides 300 Volt DC rails to run the vacuum tubes, beefy 6 Volt lines to power them up, along with several other voltage rails for the phantom power and various solid-state control voltages. High Voltage = High Headroom, folks. You will not get near this sonic performance with in any 500-series design. Trust us. This is Massive audio excellence which starts with this superior power supply. All lines are importantly regulated, low impedance, efficient, and super-quiet in this low radiating high frequency design. The universal mains input accepts any voltage or frequency from anywhere in the world making travel with the Massive Passive a breeze.
Special Order Item: Please allow extra time for delivery.
- Inputs: Balanced XLR and 1/4-inch (accepts unbalanced)
- Outputs: Balanced XLR (accepts unbalanced) and Unbalanced 1/4-inch
- Level +4 dBu nominal
- Bypass Switch (bypasses EQ and tube circuits): 1/4-inch Jacks (not hardwire)
- Bypass Switch (bypasses EQ, tube circuits and Input Buffer): XLR Jacks (Hardwire Bypass)
- Gain Trim: -6 dB ~ 0 dB ~ +4 dB
- Number of Frequencies: 44 (roughly 1/4 octave spacing)
- Frequency Range: 22 Hz to 27 kHz
- Parametric EQ
- Low: 22, 33, 47, 68, 100, 150, 220, 330, 470, 680, 1K
- Low Mid: 82, 120, 180, 270, 390, 560, 820, 1K2, 1K8, 2K7, 3K9
- High Mid: 220, 330, 470, 680, 1K, 1K5, 2K2, 3K3, 4K7, 6K8, 10K
- High: 560, 820, 1K2, 1K8, 2K7, 3K9, 5K6, 8K2, 12K, 16K, 27K
- EQ Boost / Cut Range: Maximum 20 dB boost or cut
- Nominal Q Range: 1.5 to 3 (uniquely active in shelf modes)
- Maximum Input Level: +21 dBu
- Maximum Output Level (1 kHz sine, 1% THD+N, BW 22 Hz - 22 kHz, Load 100 kOhms): +35 dBu
- Frequency Response (@ +4dBu, Load 100kOhms): -0.1 dB @ 10Hz, -1 dB @ 60 kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion (1 kHz sine @ +4 dBu, BW 22 Hz - 22 kHz): 0.006%
- Output Headroom (Reference to +4 dBu): 31 dB
- Dynamic Range (Reference to Maximum Output): 123 dB
- Noise Floor Typical (Unity Gain): -88 dBu (A-Weighted)
- Signal to Noise Ratio (Reference to +4 dBu, BW 22 Hz - 22 kHz): 92 dB
- Input Impedance: 20 kOhm
- Output Impedance: 150 Ohm
- High Pass Filters: 22, 39, 68, 120, 220 Hz; OFF
- Low Pass Filters: 18 kHz, 12 kHz, 9 kHz, 7K5, 6 kHz; OFF
- Tube Complement: 2 x 5751, 4 x 6922
- Auto-mute warmup delay: 20 seconds
- Power Consumption (120/240VAC): 44 watts
- Mains Voltage and Frequency (VAC/Hz): Internal Universal Power Supply 90-254 VAC / 50-60 Hz
- Size (3U): 19 x 10 x 5.25 inches / 483 x 254 x 133 mm
- Unit Weight: 15.5 lb / 7 kg
- Shipping Box: 23 x 15 x 10 inches / 584 x 381 x 254 mm
- Shipping Weight: 26 lb / 11.8 kg
Manufacturer: Manley Laboratories
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.