OUT OF STOCK BUT WE CAN GET IT
• Ship time varies by availability - C19 delays possible
• Order now to reserve yours ~ risk free
Pick Up The Direct Box Optimized For Orchestral Instruments And Fall In Love WithÂ The Dynamic And Response You've Been Searching For - The Radial Engineering PZ-DI Orchestral Instrument DI Box
The Radial PZ-DIâ„¢ Orchestral Instrument DI Box is a unique direct box that is specifically designed for acoustic and orchestral instruments. Unlike most direct boxes that are limited to a 'one size fits all' design, the PZ-DI lets you properly match the input impedance to the source to optimize the frequency response, dynamics and feel so that no matter what type of pickup you employ, you will enjoy smoother, more musically pleasing results.
The design begins with a 3-position load adjustment switch: The 1 meg-ohm position delivers the classic impedance found on most active DI boxes. The 220k-ohm setting warms up the tone of a magnetic pickup to give you the feel and tone as if connected to a tube amplifier. The ultra-high 10 meg-ohm impedance is used to compensate for the harsh, squawky tone that usually plagues piezo-equipped instruments. This is followed by a fully variable high-pass filter that lets you 'size the instrument' by gently rolling off bass frequencies to eliminate unwanted resonance. You could for instance, retain the low frequencies on a cello or increase the cut-off point to better suit a violin. For active instruments such as acoustic guitars that incorporate a battery powered preamp, you can engage a low-pass filter to gently soften the hard edge for a smoother more natural tone.
To maximize signal handling and reduce distortion, the PZ-DI incorporates an innovative DC to DC switching supply that converts the phantom power to deliver extra headroom. This provides ample dynamic range for acoustic instruments. Should an extra loud source such as an active bass or digital keyboard be encountered, simply activate the -15dB pad to satisfy the situation. Other problem solvers include a 180Â° polarity reverse switch to tame hot spots on stage that can cause feedback and a ground lift switch to help eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
The Radial PZ-DI is a ground breaking direct box that can instantly adapt to all types of pickups so that you can enjoy the full frequency response and dynamics of an orchestral string instrument, smooth-out the peaks of bluegrass fiddle, banjo or mandolin, split off a bass guitar without excessive loading, or naturally amplify an acoustic guitar without the usual tone-altering effects.
- Optimized for orchestral instruments on a live stage
- Adjustable load for piezo and magnetic pickups
- Variable low-cut filter to control bass resonance
- 48V phantom powered, does not require batteries
- INPUT: ¼” hi-Z input used to connect the instrument to the PZ-DI.
- THRU: ¼” throughput used to feed an on-stage instrument amplifier.
- LOAD: 3-position switch lets you adjust the input impedance to optimize the load for the type of pickup being used. Set to 220k ohm for magnetic pickups, 10 meg-ohm for piezo transducers and 1 meg-ohm to replicate traditional DIs.
- PAD: Reduces the input sensitivity by -15dB enabling the PZ-DI to be used with high output instruments such as active basses or keyboards.
- LO-CUT: Variable high-pass filter is used to remove unwanted resonance and size the instrument to suit. Variable from 5Hz to 500Hz.
- HI-CUT: Used to warm up the sound of active instruments that often contain excessive high frequencies.
- BOOK-END DESIGN: Creates protective zone around connectors, switches and potentiometers to prevent damage.
- NO SLIP PAD: Provides electrical and mechanical isolation while keeping the PZ-DI from sliding around on busy stages.
- XLR OUT: Balanced low impedance output used to connect the
- PZ-DI to the mixing console. Allows long cable runs in excess of 100 meters (300 feet) without noise.
- PHASE: 180° polarity reverse toggles pin-2 and pin-3 at the XLR output. Used to tame acoustic hot spots on stage and help reduce resonant feedback.
- LIFT: Ground lift switch disconnects the ground from the audio signal path and helps eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops.
- 48V: Provides visual status of 48V phantom power. When the LED is on, the PZ-DI is being fed 48 volts from the console.
- THRU BUFFER ON: Buffers the signal before it is sent to the thruput connector for use with piezo transducers or when using longer cable runs.
- Audio circuit type: Proprietary analog circuit with low-noise FET op-amp
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz
- Dynamic range: 105dB
- Equivalent input noise: -98dBu
- Maximum gain: +4.6dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.02% /td>
- Input impedance: 1M/220K-Ohms
- Input impedance with PAD on: 50K-Ohms
- Output impedance: 200 Ohms - nominalt
- Input pad: -15dB
- XLR configuration: AES standard (pin-2 hot)
- Power: 48V phantom - proprietary digital switching
- Construction: 14 gauge steel chassis and outer shell
- Finish: Durable powder coat
- Size: (W x H x D) 84 x 127 x 48mm (3.3" x 5.0" x 2")
- Weight: 1.2 lb (544 g)
- FCC approval: Complies with section 15 of the FCC Rules
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 40°F and 105°F
Manufacturer: Radial Engineering
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
Listing ID: NA79478
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device