Small Size. Massive Groove. The Roland MC-101 Groovebox
Produce and perform music anywhere, anytime, without clutter or complications. The MC-101 has the sequencing, sounds, and effects of the professional MC-707, in a compact four-track version. It has the highest quality Roland sounds and churns out massive grooves with a huge selection of ready-to-go patterns, loops, and phrases. And you can make it your own by adding your own sounds and crafting your own style.
The MC-101 is a professional production tool, sharing the sounds and many of the capabilities of its bigger sibling, the MC-707. And there are advantages to being small. The MC-101 is solid yet lightweight and runs for about five hours on four AA batteries. This means you can design sounds, create drum patterns, and compose musical phrases just about anywhere. And the MC-101is not just a scratchpad for simple ideas. You can produce fully-fledged professional tracks or create backing tracks and accompaniment for live performance.
The MC-101 has a four-track sequencer optimized for creating today's electronic and dance-oriented music. You can use the 16 ultra-sensitive RGB pads to create drum, bass, and synthesizer patterns and create your own original music. It's your musical playground, where you can freely combine loops and one-shots with melodic phrases including your own imported audio recordings and MIDI sequences. Compose and trigger clips, rearrange, re-sample, record your knob movements, and more.
With the MC-101's massive effects palette, your music sounds polished and fully-produced. Each track has independent effects processors with a huge number of variations. The lush chorus brings depth to pads and other synth sounds. Delays and reverbs create evocative spaces and add movement to delicate sequences. Overdrive, distortion, and amp simulation add grit and intensity to synths, guitars, drums, and more. You can also run your entire mix through master effects like filters, bit-crushers and a master bus compressor that glues it all together with punch and clarity.
When you're ready to expand on your tracks or share your creations with friends and fans, simply connect the MC-101 to your computer with a single USB cable. It has advanced USB audio interface capabilities and can record an entire mix or all four parts to individual tracks in your DAW. Or sample sounds from your DAW to capture backing tracks, stems, or the sound of your favorite software synth for your next live show.
- ZEN-Core (Tone, Drum Kit)
- Tone, Drum Kit, Looper (Audio Loop)
- ZEN-Core: 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)
- LOOPER: 4 (varies according to the available number of Looper track)
- 4 tracks
- 64 clips (16 clips per track)
- Clip Type: Tone, Drum Kit, Looper (Audio Loop), it varies according to the track type.
- Preset Tone: 3,000 or greater
- Preset Drum Kit: 80 or greater
- User Sample (as a Tone or Drum Kit): available by importing from SD CARD
- Looper Sample (as a clip of Looper track): available by importing from SD CARD
- Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
- Available format of User Sample:
- WAV 32--96 kHz/16 bits, 24 bits (mono, stereo)
- Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
- Available format of Looper Sample:
- WAV 44.1 kHz/16 bits, 24 bits, 32 bits, 32 bits float (mono, stereo)
- Track Multi-Effects: 90 types
- Track EQ
- Chorus/Delay: 9 types
- Reverb: 7 types
- Master Effects: 90 types
- Master Compressor
- Master EQ
- Maximum Step: 128 steps
- Available on a Tone or Drum Kit Track
- Time Stretch, Pitch Shift
- Available on a Looper Track
- 16 characters, 2 lines LCD (with backlit)
- SD Card (SDHC supported) for saving Project Data and Audio Data
- PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- OUT(L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
- USB port: USB B type (Audio, MIDI)
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
- Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4
- Obtained via USB port (USB bus power)
- 500 mA
Expected Battery Life Under Continuous Use
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6): Approx. 3 hours
- Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6): Approx. 4.5 hours
- 224(W) x 132(D) x 61(H) mm
- 8-13/16 (W) x 5-3/16 (D) x 2-7/16 (H) inches
Weight (including batteries)
- 716 g
- 1 lb 9 oz
- Owner's manual
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
- SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.