The Ultimate SP Is Here - The Roland SP-404 MKII Creative Sampler and Effector
Roland SP samplers are the bona fide kings of performance-based beatmaking, celebrated for their distinctive sound and ability to create rapid-fire beats anywhere, anytime. Carefully refined through community feedback and extensive research and development, the SP-404MKII is the ultimate SP sampler. It’s faster and better than ever, with a vivid OLED display, expressive new pads, expanded effects, fluid sequencing and sampling, and a massive library of authentic sounds to inspire your music.
Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger
The SP-404MKII has everything people love about its predecessor—with some serious upgrades like 17 ultra-expressive pads and updated knobs for smooth, hands-on control. And beatmaking is even quicker with speedy boot time, swift project loading and sample import, and easy project access via 16 GB of internal storage. Longtime users and new beatmakers alike will feel right at home with the intuitive layout and classic SP effects, plus a revamped sampling and sequencing workflow, Skip Back Sampling for quick performance capture, DJ mode to mix beats live, and more.
People who make music with SP samplers love the rapid workflow, portability, and tactile approach they offer. The SP-404MKII takes this experience even further, retaining the lightweight-yet-rugged design while adding features that make it even easier to create in any scenario. Bang out beats anywhere with AA or mobile battery power, capture audio from or stream direct to your mobile device via USB, or collaborate with a partner using the dual headphones outputs and mic/guitar input.
A Sampler with Soul
With the SP404MKII’s vivid OLED screen and zoomable waveform view, sample editing is smooth like butter. Chop up samples by tapping out edit points in real time, or use auto chop to slice samples automatically. Then finesse them with envelope and pitch shift, and use the new resampling workflow to re-record patterns and effects layers for detailed sound design. And with Skip Back Sampling, you can instantly grab those golden moments by capturing up to 25 seconds of audio from your last performance.
All About Effects
Process, flip, and twist your sounds with legendary SP effects and a selection of new classics. SP staples like Vinyl Simulator and DJFX Looper are now joined with powerful additions that include Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, and Resonator. Layer and route multiple simultaneous bus effects for intricate sound textures, or plug into the mic/guitar input and jam with ready-to-go Vocoder, Auto Pitch, and Guitar Amp Simulator effects.
The SP-404MKII gives you the flexibility to create patterns with unique feel and energy. There’s adjustable input quantize and shuffle for custom swing, Pad Link for firing off multiple samples with a single tap, a Roll button for variable note repeat, and BPM-per-bank for instant tempo changes. It’s also possible to organize patterns for different sets and chain them together to automate playback. With your hands freed up, you can stretch out on the SP effects controls or let rip on your favorite synth.
Dive into beatmaking with the pre-loaded sounds in the SP-404MKII's blazing-fast 16 GB of internal memory. There's a huge collection of curated samples to choose from and plenty of room to augment them with your private sound stash. And you can now load even more sounds at once, with 160 samples across each project for expanded performance and beatmaking combinations.
Break Beats, Not Banks
You shouldn't need to take out a bank loan to make beats or produce tracks. The SP-404MKII is more powerful and more affordable than ever, making it easy to add its rapid workflow and characteristic sound to your existing setup. And with all it can do, the SP-404MKII may be the only piece you need for production and performance.
You work hard to be a unique artist—so why play on cookie-cutter gear that looks like everyone else’s? Personalize your SP-404MKII with your own style or branding for a look that's as distinctive as your sound. Grab the faceplate template to create custom overlays, style your startup screen with personalized logos, or select a screensaver that matches your vibe.
SP-404MKII App, Sample Packs, and More on Roland Cloud
Download the SP-404MKII App from Roland Cloud Manager to go even deeper with your Mac or Windows computer. Access more detailed waveform editing, assign samples to pads, and import MIDI files and legacy SP-404SX and SP-404A projects for remixing and updating. And while you’re there, check out our exclusive Beatmaker Sample Pack series for more sonic material from legendary sound designers and musicians to inspire your next production.
- Maximum Polyphony: 32 voices
- Recordable Data
- Samples: 2,560 (16 samples x 10 banks x 16 projects, stored in internal storage)
- Patterns: 2,560 (16 patterns x 10 banks x 16 projects, stored in internal storage)
- Internal Storage Size: 16 GB (Including preload data)
- Maximum Sampling Time: 16 minutes (approximately 176 MB per sample)
- Skip Back Sampling: 25 seconds (capturing the last moments of performance)
- Data Format: 16-bit linear WAV, AIFF, MP3 import supported (SP-404MK2APP supports WAV, AIFF, MP3, FLAC, M4A)
- Sampling Frequency: 48kHz
- Pattern Sequencer
- Resolution: 480 ticks, quarter note
- Pattern Length: 1 to 64 bars
- Recording Method: Realtime Loop Recording
- Multi-Effects: 37 types
- Input Effects: 2 types
- Pad: 16 pads + 1 sub pad (Velocity-sensitive pad)
- Controller: Control knobs x 3
- Display: Graphic OLED display
- External Storage: SD card (sold separately) for backup, restore, import, and export functions (SDHC compatible)
- Connection Terminals
- PHONES jacks: 1/4-inch phone type, Stereo miniature phone type
- LINE OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (impedance balanced)
- LINE IN (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- MIC/GUITAR IN jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (for MIC), 1/4-inch phone type (for GUITAR)
- MIDI (IN, OUT) jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- USB terminal: USB Type-C (Audio, MIDI)
- DC IN terminal
- Power Supply
- AC adaptor
- USB bus power supply (USB Type-C port, 1.5 A or more)
- Ni-MH batteries (AA, HR6)(sold separately) x 6
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6)(sold separately) x 6
- Current Draw
- AC Adaptor: 1,100 mA
- USB Bus Power: 1,500 mA
- Expected Battery Life Under Continuous Use (can vary depending on the specifications of the batteries, capacity of the batteries, and the conditions of use)
- Alkaline: Approx. 2.5 hours
- Ni-MH: Approx. 3.5 hours
- Quick start
- "Read Me First" leaflet
- Roland User Registration Card
- AC adaptor
- Warranty card
- Options (sold separately)
- TRS/MIDI connecting cable: BMIDI-5-35, BMIDI-1-35, BMIDI-2-35, BCC-1-3535, BCC-2-3535
- Custom faceplates
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.