Add A Multipurpose Utility To Your Signal Chain With The Royer dBooster In-Line Signal Booster
The Royer model R-DB20 is a phantom-powered ribbon and dynamic microphone signal booster and impedance buffer. It increases the level of passive low-output ribbon and dynamic microphones with a minimum of distortion or coloration. Designed for professional applications, the dBooster provides two levels of clean gain boost; 12dB and 20dB, selectable by a front panel switch. The dBooster maintains headroom and gain regardless of load.
The Class A input circuitry presents a high source impedance to the microphone, which minimizes loading (damping). This reduces coloration and distortion while at the same time improving headroom.
By utilizing the 12/20dB gain switch, optimum balance between gain and headroom can be achieved for a variety of uses.
The low-impedance output of the dBooster is an increased microphone-level signal that can drive a digital interface directly or a standard microphone preamplifier. It also minimizes signal loss on long cable runs.
- Miking any low-volume sound source (acoustic instruments, vocals, etc.)
- Recording direct to a DAW interface
- Use on long cable runs to retain sound quality
- Safe for use on all ribbon mics
- Increases headroom at the preamp
- Provides true electrical isolation
- Protects ribbon mics from phantom-power
- Minimizes mic loading
- Capable of driving difficult loads, such as mic splitters and vintage style preamps, without increased distortion or loss of gain
- Gain:Â 12dB or 20dB switchable Â
- THD+N: @ 20dB Gain = .0015%, -25dBu input signal, 1.3Vp-p output signal; @ 12dB Gain = .001%, -6Bu input signal, 3.66Vp-p output signal
- IM Distortion: @ 20dB setting, < .002% @ 800mV output, @ 12dB setting, < .005% @ 2.6volts output
- Self-Noise: referred to -48dB re. 1V/pa, 20dB setting < 11dBa, 12dB setting < 15dBa
- Headroom: referred to -48dB re. 1V/pa and 4mV/pa, 20dB setting: 127dB, 12dB setting: 120dB
- Frequency response:Â 20Hz-20kHz +/- .25dB
- Input Impedance:Â 3.6K-Ohm
- Output Impedance:Â (at 20dB setting) 300-OhmsÂ
- Current draw: approximately 5ma at zero signal and 7.5ma at full output
- Input and output connections: Balanced XLR: (Pin 1 Ground, Pin 2 Signal Hot, Pin 3 Signal Cold)
- Power:Â 48-Volt phantomÂ
- Dimensions: 3.62â€ (92mm) L X 2.0â€ (51mm) W X 1.62â€ (41.3mm) W
- Weight:Â 6 oz (170g)
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.