Pick Up This Award Winning Microphone, Bringing Versatility And Professional Quality Frequency Response To Your Recordings - The Royer Labs R-121 Studio Ribbon Microphone
Released in 1998, the award-winning Royer Labs R-121 is our flagship microphone; the world's first radically reengineered ribbon microphone and the model that reintroduced ribbon mics to engineers around the world. We did away with the large, heavy, fragile "classic" approach to ribbon microphones and went in a completely new direction. The Royer Labs R-121 gives all of the warmth and natural sound that experienced engineers have long turned to ribbon mics for, but in a compact, light-weight, high output and tough-as-nails package that was unheard of in a ribbon mic before the Royer Labs R-121. In its 10+ years in the market, thousands of Royer Labs R-121's have been sold around the world and it's well established as a standard for tracking electric guitar andbrass.
The Royer Labs R-121 redefined ribbon microphones so completely that Recording Magazine wrote "...the Royer R-121 is destined to become one of the classic microphones of the 21st century."
Like many of the best classic ribbon mics, the Royer Labs R-121 has a figure-8 pattern, output level comparable to a dynamic mic, and a warm, realistic tone and flat frequency response. But that's where the similarities end. By using advanced materials and a blend of cutting edge and old-school, hand-build construction techniques, the Royer Labs R-121 is an extremely versatile and user-friendly ribbon mic that can stand up to the most demanding tasks. Cranked up electric guitars, close up brass, drums - you name it, the Royer Labs R-121 will help you record it with realism you have to hear to believe.
We've always said Royers "hear like your ears." Put one up and you'll know what we mean. The R-121 accurately reproduces what you hear at the sound source. Most microphones add their own characteristics; some have hyped highs and lows with scooped out mids, some are extremely sizzly in the highs, some accentuate midrange, some respond to nothing but low end... They all serve a purpose and have their place in the studio. But if your goal is to capture something the way it really sounds - that unbelievable electric guitar, that wailing trumpet, that full kit - and you've found that recording that sound was next to impossible, put up an R-121 and get ready. The R-121's response is flat and well balanced, with a deep, non-boomy low end, well defined and realistic mids, and a smooth and natural sounding high end response that's never edgy or sibilant.
When it's time to mix, push up the faders on your ribbon-recorded tracks and you'll see why so many of today's engineers rely on R-121's. When your tracks sound real, fitting them into the mix is a breeze.
On playback you'll find the sound is natural and alive, with a panoramic, ambient feel much like what you heard when you were standing in the room with the instruments(s) you were recording.
Need to record at insane levels? No problem! The R-121's maximum SPL ra
- High SPL Capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Electric Guitar Amps
- Brass Instruments
- Horn Sections
- Drum Rooms
- Kick Drum
- Percussion Instruments
- Acoustic Piano
- Acoustic Guitar
- String Instruments & Sections
- Choirs & Orchestras
- Commercial Broadcast
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -50 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: >135dB @ 20 Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: 155.7mm L, 25mm W (6.13" L, 1" W) Weight: 244g (8.6 oz) Finish: Dull Satin Nickel/Matte Black Chrome optional
Manufacturer: ROYER LABS
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details