Run Your Signal Through A Neve Mic Pre And Hear The Difference - The Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5012 Duo Mic Pre
The Portico 5012 is a dual-channel mic pre featuring Rupert Neve's custom input and output transformer designs. In addition to individually selectable phase, mute, phantom power, and a fully sweepable high pass filter, the 5012 incorporates a "Silk" circuit which yields the rich warmth and presence of his renowned classics.
The microphone input is balanced but not floating, being a variant of an instrumentation amplifier using a Transformer-Like-Amplifier (T.L.A.) configuration with a toroidal Common Mode Rejection Low Pass Filter that excludes frequencies above 150 kHz. The T.L.A. is followed by an actual input transformer permitting a full +25 dBu input signal to be handled at unity gain without an input pad over the whole audio spectrum. This combines the advantages of both an "Electronically Balanced" and true transformer input. When the Phantom voltage is switched off, this input serves as a very high-quality line input with an impedance of 10K Ohms.
LOW NOISE, LOW DISTORTION OPERATION
The 5012 was designed to produce as little noise and non-harmonic distortion as possible. Carefully implemented signal paths and Class A operation are a large part of the 5012's sweet, whisper-quiet performance. All Portico modules use input and output transformers and almost entirely discrete component amplifiers. In fact, the Line amplifiers on their own, inserted into the signal chain, are capable of enhancing the sonic quality of many signal sources, especially those of digital origin.
- Silk: The Silk button reduces negative feedback and adjusts the frequency spectrum to provide a very sweet and musical performance.
- Level Meter: -30 dBu to +22 dBu With reference to the output
- Mute: Cuts of the output signal post metering and pre-Buss Output.
- High Pass Filter: Signals between 20 and 250 Hz can be attenuated, leaving the range above this unaffected. This gets rid of building rumble, air handling motor hum, etc.
- Phantom Power: Provides 48V phantom power to microphones
- Buss Output: The To Buss output is unbalanced and has a high impedance output. It is intended for use with the Portico Buss Amp/Monitoring modules. The Monitor connection is derived pre mute on the 5012 and will produce a signal at the output of the buss modules that is equal in level to that at the 5012 output.
- Polarity: Flips the phase of an incoming source 180 degrees
Manufacturer: Rupert Neve Designs
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details