Hear The Real Difference Through TheÂ Rupert Neve Designs Shelford 5052 Mic Pre / Inductor EQ
The Shelford 5052 echoes the simple and definitive 1073 feature set with a vertically-oriented mic pre, high pass filter, and 3-band inductor EQ, while also incorporating modern capabilities like the variable Silk / Texture control from the Portico II Series and simultaneous pre / post â€œtapeâ€ operation. Utilizing class-A, discrete, +/- 24V topologies with custom-wound transformers and inductors, Rupert Neve designed the 5052 as a vintage-style channel strip that captures the soul of his classic designs, without the previous compromises.
THE MIC PRE
The 5052 preamplifier has 72dB of discrete, class-A gain coupled with serious square-core transformers. The output transformer features the Silk Red / Blue and Texture controls from the Portico II Series to hone the harmonic content and tonality of the output stage. The mic pre section also includes a sweepable 20-250Hz high-pass filter, Mic / Line selection, 48V phantom power, and polarity reverse.
DUAL I/O PATHS
The 5052 has a transformer-coupled output, which allows the 5052 to feed a tape machine or DAW directly from the mic pre while still using the EQ and Silk / Texture in a dedicated analogue mix path such as that found with a 5088, 5060 or vintage console. This output can also be used to insert a separate compressor between the mic pre and the EQ, or it can allow the 5052 to work with two separate sources.
THE â€œBEST OF THE CLASSICSâ€ EQ
The low frequency bandÂ can be used as either a shelf or a peak filter, adding punch, dimension, and immense control to your low end. The 5052â€™s inductor midrange band is ideal for sweetening vocals and instruments while bringing them forward in a mix. Additionally, the mid frequency bandâ€™s proportional â€œQâ€ response makes it well-suited for minimizing problematic frequencies in a source.Â
POWER, CONNECTIONS AND MOUNTING
The 5052 receives +/- 24V rails from an external DC power supply using a 4-pin connection. There are currently two options available: the RND 5-way brick supply and the RND 25-way 2U rack-mount supply. The back panel of the 5052 includes three XLR-F connections for Mic In, Line In, and EQ In, and two XLR-M connections for Mic Out and Main Out. The 5052 chassis is a â€œhalf-rackâ€ format, and can be mounted in RNDâ€™s new 2 â€“way and 4-way vertical racks in addition to the existing 9-way racks and the 5088 penthouse.
- MIC GAIN: A 12-way precision rotary switch controls gain from 0 to 66 dB in 6 dB steps.
- SILK / TEXTURE: Pushing the Silk button cycles the silk modes from red silk to blue silk to off. Silk reduces the negative feedback on the output transformer, adding harmonic content as the texture is increased. Red Silk accentuates the saturation in the mid and high frequencies, similar to that of the red silk mode on the Portico II Channel. Blue Silk accentuates low frequencies.
- INDUCTOR EQ: The first inductor based EQ designed by Rupert Neve since the mid 70’s, the 5051 EQ is very reminiscent of Mr. Neve’s classic EQ, while providing a thoroughly modern performance.
- HPF: 12 dB/octave High Pass variable from 20-250Hz
- LOW EQ: +/- 15dB Shelf or peak, selectable at 35 Hz, 60 Hz, 100 Hz or 220 Hz
- MID EQ: +/- 15dB with 6 center frequencies; 200 Hz, 350 Hz, 700 Hz, 1.5 kHz, 3 kHz and 6 kHz, with High Peak switch to narrow the bandwidth or increase the Q of the filter.
- HIGH SHELF: +/- 15dB Shelf or peak selectable at 8 kHz to 16 kHz
- TRIM: Continuously variable +/-6 dB level trim control
- +48V: Engages phantom power on the microphone input
- POLARITY: Push button inverts the polarity of the signal path, and illuminates when engaged. The symbol “Ø” is often used to denote opposite polarity.
- HIGH PASS FILTER: The high pass filter is continuously variable from 20-250Hz and engaged by the HPF switch, which illuminates when engaged. Signals below the selected frequency are attenuated at a rate of 12db / octave, getting rid of proximity effect, building rumble, air handling, motor hum, etc.
- LEVEL METER: An Eight-segment LED bar-graph meter displays output level (pre-Silk). The color range proceeds from green for lower level signals, yellow for intermediate signals, and red for high levels.
Manufacturer: Rupert Neve Designs
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.