Get The Next Evolution of the Prophet - The Sequential Prophet XL 76-Key Samples Plus Synthesizer
The Sequential Prophet XL is a 76-key version of the acclaimed Prophet X — a potent fusion of samples-plus-synthesis and the most ground-breaking evolution of the Prophet yet. At its heart, it’s a bi-timbral, 8-voice-stereo, 16-voice mono, 32-voice paraphonic synth with a newly developed sound engine that powers two simultaneous 16-bit, 48kHz sample-based instruments plus two high-resolution digital oscillators — all processed through analog filters. With 150 GB of internal samples from acclaimed sound developers 8Dio, and all of the powerful synthesis tools you’ve come to expect from Sequential, the Prophet X and Prophet XL have a musical voice uniquely their own.
On the sample side of things, in 8- and 16-voice mode, the Prophet XL provides two independent, stereo, digitally sampled instruments per voice (4 in Stack or Split mode). The 150 GB of internal sample content was created by 8Dio, known for pioneering “deep sampling.” You’ll find a diverse collection of acoustic and electronic instruments as well as plenty of edgy ambient and cinematic effects. You can shape the samples through loop manipulation, sample stretching, and the Prophet XL’s sound-sculpting modulation functions. Each sample instrument has its own Tone control for high-pass or low-pass filtering. 50 GB of additional internal storage is dedicated to importing user samples and 3rd party sample libraries.
On the synth side, the Prophet XL gives you the power of a classic Prophet, with two high-resolution digital oscillators that feature both classic waveshapes and a supersaw for more timbral possibilities. Using the Shape Mod control, you can manually dial in a desired waveshape width for any of the classic sine, sawtooth, or pulse waves, or use an LFO or other mod source for continuously shifting timbre. You can shape the raw sounds with all of the classic synthesis functions you’d expect, including 4 syncable LFOs with slew and phase offset, 4 loopable five-stage envelope generators, and a 16-slot mod matrix with dozens of modulation sources and destinations.
Stereo Filters for Depth and Impact
At the heart of the Prophet XL’s powerful sound are its new, 24 dB-per-octave resonant low-pass filters, which are based on a vintage design. In 8-voice mode, there are separate filters in the left and right channels for a true stereo signal path. These add exceptional presence and fullness to both the samples and the oscillators. For additional polyphony, you can switch the Prophet XL from 8-voice stereo mode to 16-voice mono/stereo mode, which is useful for stacks and splits, or 32-voice paraphonic performance mode when using a single sampled instrument and oscillator.
Poly Step Sequencing
The polyphonic step sequencer provides up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create a different sequence for each layer if working in stacked or split voice mode, making it a powerful tool for composition or performance. Sequences can have ties and rests, and can sync to an external MIDI clock. The arpeggiator features note repeats, re-latching, and can be synced to external MIDI clock, as well.
Two Effects Per Layer
A dual effects engine provides multiple reverbs, 2 delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, flanger, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, high-pass filter, and distortion. In stacked or split voice mode, you can apply two different effects to each layer. Effects parameters can be modulated through the mod matrix.
Road-Worthy and Studio-Ready
With loads of sonic firepower and personality, a 76-key, semi-weighted, premium-quality keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, an integrated power supply, MIDI USB support, and three crisp OLED displays, the Prophet XL fits into any music rig or gig — in the studio or on the road.
- 2 multi-sampled stereo instruments per voice with editable sample start, sample end, loop size, and loop center, loop on/off, sample reverse, sample stretch, bit-rate reduction, and sample rate reduction
- Forward and forward/reverse loop modes
- 150 GB of factory-installed 16-bit, 48 kHz sampled instruments created by 8Dio
- 50 GB of additional storage for user-imported samples or 3rd-party sound libraries
- High-pass and low-pass filter per instrument
- Instrument 1 and instrument 2 delay as mod destinations
- 2 digital oscillators per voice with selectable sine, sawtooth, pulse, and supersaw waves. You can vary the shape of any of the waveshapes.
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator; (samples can glide in Sample Stretch mode)
- Hard sync
- 2 x analog 4-pole resonant low-pass filters per voice in 8-voice mode, 1 low-pass filter per voice in 16-voice mode, paraphonic filter operation in 32-voice performance mode
- Digital high-pass filter in Effects section
- 4 loopable, five-stage (ADSR plus delay) envelope generators: Filter, VCA, and two assignable
- Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests.
- MIDI note output
- Sequences can be copied between Layer A and Layer B
- Four-stage (ADSR) envelope generator
- Velocity modulation of envelope amount
Low Frequency Oscillators
- 4 LFO’s with key sync, phase offset, and slewing per LFO
- Five wave shapes: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, and random (sample and hold)
- 16-slot modulation matrix
- 28 sources
- 92 destinations
- 11 additional dedicated sources: mod wheel, pressure, velocity, breath controller, footswitch, LFO 1, LFO 2, LFO 3, LFO 4, Env 3, Env 4
- Fully-featured arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
- Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
- One, two, or three octave range
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Note repeat
- Beat sync
- MIDI note output
- 64 preset alternative tunings
- Additional alternative tunings can be imported via SysEx
- 2 digital effects on each layer
- Stereo delay, BBD delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter, spring reverb, room reverb, hall reverb, super plate reverb
- Master clock with tap tempo
- BPM control and display
- MIDI clock sync
- Full-sized, semi-weighted, 76-key, Fatar TP/8 keyboard with velocity and channel (mono) aftertouch
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel with selectable range per program (1 to 12 semitones up and down)
- Transpose controls for an 8-octave range
- Hold switch latches held notes on
- Polyphonic glide (portamento)
- Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count
- 512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
- USB MIDI
- Sample import jack for USB Stick
- Main stereo audio output: 2 x 1/4″ phone (TS, unbalanced)
- Output B stereo audio output: 2 x 1/4″ phone (TS, unbalanced)
- Pedal/CV: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages.
- Volume: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages.
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Sequencer: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch to trigger sequencer playback.
- Headphone output: 1/4" stereo phone jack.
- IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 25 watts maximum
- Dimensions: 46.8" L x 15.5" W x 4.1" H (118.7 cm L x 39.4 cm W x 10.4 cm H)
- Weight: 33.2 lbs (15 kg)
We are Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC's legendary music shop. Family-owned and operated since 1958. Buy gear the way it was meant to be bought, from a store that's been there through it all and has the vibe to prove it. We're staffed with musicians and industry experts, people that live and breathe music gear. Our mission is to help you find the right gear for your project, that thing that will bring you the most joy out of what you do. We're an authorized dealer for almost every brand, we stock items the other stores don't, so you can try before you buy. Stop by our Wheaton, MD showroom and see for yourself.
Contact us if you have questions about one of our listings or if you need help finding the right piece of gear.