OUT OF STOCK BUT WE CAN GET IT
• Ship time varies by availability - C19 delays possible
• Order now to reserve yours ~ risk free
Get Classic British Sound With The Warm Audio WA273-EQ 2 Channel British Mic Pre & EQ
A 2 channel '73 For The Rest Of Us- If thereâ€™s one preamp-eq that professional engineers would unanimously agree has defined the tone of pop/rock records for the last 50+ years, it would most definitely be the venerable 1073. The 1073 has been massively used in recording and live applications for decades and is still considered to be the â€œHoly Grailâ€ of preamp-eqâ€™s today. The Warm Audio â€œWA73 Familyâ€ provides single and dual channel re-creations of this classic British preamp (with & w/out EQ), that each pay careful and humble homage to the original circuit.
When we at Warm Audio decided to release the WA273-EQ it was imperative that the products pay respectful homage to the sacred British console history in both design and performance. The tone and sweet character that the vintage units impart is so unique and familiar, that we had only the pure desire to release truly sonic accurate replicas. After years of R&D, careful reverse-engineering, and countless hours of auditioning, the WA273-EQ has been born!
The WA273-EQ is a â€œDesert Islandâ€ 2 channel boutique preamp-eq, but it can also be classified as a studio and live work-horse. The classic 1073 was known for being a versatile tool that worked well with all kinds of microphones from Condenser, to Dynamic, to Ribbon. The WA273-EQ equally shines on all types of microphones and sources including; vocals, acoustic/electric guitars, bass, drums, percussion, orchestras, keyboards, and even as a tone shaping tool to run partial or complete mixes through. With 80dB of gain, a fully discrete Carnhill Transformer balanced signal path, and versatile 3 band inductor EQ, thereâ€™s no recording, mixing or engineering task the WA273-EQ canâ€™t handle.
Hand Wired & Hand Assembled- The classic 1073 was hand-wired and so is the WA273-EQ. Guruâ€™s claim that a portion of the 1073â€™s classic tone can be attributed to the hand-wired nature of the build. The WA273-EQ is authentically hand-wired and hand assembled, including the pcb components that are all populated by hand.
UK Custom Carnhill Transformers- 1073 enthusiasts unequivocally get excited about the component history in these classic circuits. The signal transformers are a common topic of conversation. The classic vintage units used various versions of transformers throughout the years, and the most coveted were the very first versions made by Marinair Radar. Marinair Radar Transformers are regarded as the most desirable 1073 choice due to their fluid and forgiving nature. They saturate sweetly when pushed, and have been known to make engineers cry when they hear how beautiful their mixes sound through them! Warm Audio worked closely with Carnhill Transformers of Cambridgeshire, UK, to design faithful replicas of these most coveted, early version transformers. We at Warm Audio have not yet heard a modern day 1073-style preamp sound as close to the early vintage 1073 design as does our WA273-EQ with these beautiful custom Transformers.
Capacitors & Signal Path- An important part of these classic British circuits not often discussed is the different styles of capacitors and output transistor used. We found it important to maintain integrity to the original design by using tantalum and polystyrene capacitors in the signal path and an output transistor choice that is much smoother in the high gain settings than what is typically found in modern 1073-style replicas.
UK Blore Edwards Switch-Pots- A great sounding 1073-style circuit should be just as reliable as it is great sounding. The complex dual concentric switch potentiometers in the EQ sections of the WA273-EQ are made in the UK by Blore Edwards who manufacture mil
- 2 Channel, Class A, 1073-style British Microphone Preamp with EQ
- UK made Carnhill Transformers
- UK made - Blore Edwards EQ dual-concentric switch potentiometers
- Hand Wired, hand assembled
- 80dB of gain - resistor stepped gain switch
- Fully discrete
- TONE button - Changes input transformer impedance for varying tone
- Polarity switch
- 48v phantom power
- Inductor based 3 band EQ
- Low Band Boost/Cut - 35, 60, 110, 220 Hz
- Mid Band Boost/Cut - 360, 700, 1600, 3200, 4800, 7200 Hz
- High Band Boost/Cut - 10, 12, 16 kHz
- Additional high band frequency EQ points added (compared to vintage 1073)
- 4 position inductor based hipass filter - 50, 80, 160, 300 Hz
- XLR mic inputs (front & back)
- Line level TRS input
- TS Send/Receive insert jacks
- XLR & TRS line level outputs
- Direct In, instrument input
- Output control
- Led level indication
- Freq response 20Hz - 20kHz +/-.5 dB
- 19" rackable
- Internal IEC 115v/230v power inlet
Manufacturer: Warm Audio
Warranty: See manufacturer website for details
Listing ID: NA89168
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device